Cenotaph / Cénotaphe

The Vars Cenotaph is located at the corner of Rockdale and Buckland Roads. It was initially erected on September 20, 1931 and rededicated after a facelift on September 18, 2011.

On Sunday, September 18th, 2011 the Vars community participated in the rededication of the new Cenotaph. Thanks to a generous grant from Veteran’s Affairs Canada and assistance from the City of Ottawa and numerous businesses and individuals, the Cenotaph is once again a fitting memorial to our twelve soldiers who died and will stand for many more years as a reminder of the debt we owe to everyone who has served in our Armed Forces.

The parade was led by Second World War veterans in WWII jeeps, followed by pipers, a contingent of Ottawa’s Cameron Highlanders, Air Cadets and a number of past and present members of Canada’s armed forces, followed by a contingent of police and firefighters and members of the Community. Mayor Jim Watson, Councillor Stephen Blais and Pierre Lemieux, M.P., were in attendance. Pictures of this events are available under the section “Photos”.

Note: A 90mm AA Gun was brought in by train and flatbed in early 1960’s through the efforts of Mr. Canel, the postmaster. It was removed after five years due to vandalism by local school children in 1968/69. The gun was actually obtained by Mr. Osborne Tanner, sub-lieutenant in the Royal Canadian Navy (Reserve)

——–

Le cénotaphe de Vars est situé à l’angle des chemins Rockdale et Buckland. Il a d’abord été érigé le 20 Septembre 1931 et reconstruit le 18 Septembre 2011.

Le dimanche 18 Septembre 2011, la communauté Vars a participé à la consécration du nouveau cénotaphe. Merci à une généreuse subvention du ministère des Anciens Combattants Canada et l’aide de la Ville d’Ottawa ainsi que de nombreuses entreprises et des particuliers, le cénotaphe est encore une fois un mémorial digne à nos douze soldats qui sont morts et se tiendra pendant de nombreuses années comme un rappel de la dette que nous devons à tous ceux qui ont servi dans nos forces armées.

Le défilé a été menée par vétérans de la Seconde Guerre mondiale dans des jeeps Seconde Guerre mondiale, suivie par cornemuseurs, un contingent des Cameron Highlanders d’Ottawa, Cadets de l’air et un certain nombre de membres anciens et actuels des forces armées du Canada, suivi d’un contingent de police et de pompiers et membres de la communauté. Le maire Jim Watson, le conseiller Stephen Blais et Pierre Lemieux, P.F., étaient présents. Les photos de cet événement sont disponibles sous la rubrique “Photos”.

Remarque: Un canon 90mm AA a été amené par le train et à plat en début des années 1960 grâce aux efforts de M. Canel, le maître de poste. Il a été retiré au bout de cinq ans en raison de vandalisme par les enfants des écoles locales en 1968/69. Le fusil avait été obtenu par M. Osborne Tanner, sous-lieutenant dans la Marine royale du Canada .

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This

Share this post with your friends!